Is that me, baby, or just a brilliant disguise?
— Bruce Springsteen
Our life is more than our work, and our work is more than our job.
— Charlie King
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo
the fatigue of supporting it.
— Thomas Paine
Dreams will not be thwarted. Faith will be rewarded.
— That Bruce guy again
What you should know about me:
- I used to be a journalist. I spent 18 years watching other people make news, and writing about it. I am now incapable of not seeing both sides of an issue.
- I love dogs, but I don’t have one.
- I love Bruce Springsteen more than I love dogs. I don’t have him, either.
- When I moved into my current 1-bedroom apartment, I chose to sell the bed and keep the bookshelves.
- I never met a pun I didn’t like.
- I spend an unseemly amount of time arguing with myself. The arguments are often derailed when one of my selves interrupts itself to restate what it already said, only better. Once an editor, always an editor.
- I’ve been to Ireland and Italy, lived in Illinois and Iowa. I guess the I’s have it.
- Did I mention I like puns?
- I learned to like college wrestling in 1984, when Orv Otten, head wrestling coach at Monmouth College, invited me to a Fighting Scots practice to get more coverage in the local newspaper. It worked.
- I learned to love college wrestling in 1985, when I drove 130 miles round-trip just to watch Royce Alger and the rest of the Hawkeyes wrestle at Carver-Hawkeye.
- I’ve seen 30 Bruce Springsteen concerts in 7 states, in football stadiums, baseball fields, basketball arenas, and beautiful old theaters. I’ve sat in the nosebleed seats, and I’ve sat in the sixth row center stage. The worst show I ever saw was wonderful. The best show was … transcendent.
- I once interviewed Johnny Cash. He was amazingly kind and generous, despite being in his bathrobe and being interviewed by a nobody from Davenport, Iowa.
- I’ve interviewed other famous people, too, but come on. Johnny Cash? Doesn’t get any better than that.
- I subscribe to Molly Ivins’ political philosophy: “Fish gotta swim, hearts gotta bleed.”
- I believe that 98% of people, given a fair choice, will do the right thing.
- I believe the other 2% just need someone to explain it to them.
- I am a Chicago Cubs fan to atone for my sins.
- I am an Iowa Hawkeyes fan as reward for my virtues.
- I learned how to knit. Three times.
- I forgot how to knit. Three times.
- I like to make lists.